Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Bookaday - Donalyn Miller and Teri Lesesne (my reading heroes) - #TLA16

Listening to Donalyn and Teri talk about books makes me realize that it's ok to be a big nerd about books.  I mean, my personal email is "booknerd" after all.   I get lots of reading ideas from these ladies.  Today I am learning about something called Book A Day.  Don't worry.  I won't be asking all my students to read a different book every day.  And you can do this in the summer when YOU HAVE TIME!  Don't tell me you don't.  I won't accept that as an excuse!  It's always fun to try.  I think I'm going to try this during the summer.  Feel free to join me.

Here are some great quotes from the session this morning:

"A book a day keeps stupidity away."

"Seeing someone reading a book you love is seeing a book recommending a person."

"YOU CAN'T READ ALL DAY.   If you don't start in the morning."

"Innocent bystander:  Know of any good books?    Me: I don't know if you're ready for this conversation."

Guidelines for #bookaday
1.  Set your own start and end date.
2.  Read one book per day for each day of your challenge.  But this is an average!  Throw some picture books in the mix to up your total number so when you get your average, it still comes out as a book a day.
3.  And don't forget about audio books and novels in verse, and graphic novels!
4.  Keep a list of the books you read.  It gives you a great sense of accomplishment.  If you want to hashtag it, use #bookaday.  Go see what others are reading using this hashtag if you want.

Come talk to me if you want to do this.  Maybe we can connect over some of the books you read this summer.  Between Twitter and Instagram, we can share lots of book ideas.  And don't forget to tag the author in your posts!  They love seeing this and will, most likely, tweet you back.  That's a fun side effect!


No comments:

Post a Comment