Friday, April 3, 2015

The Sweet Dead Life by Joy Preble

FIC PRE
Genre:  Supernatural

Summary
Jenna's life is no picnic.  Her dad disappeared five years ago and her mom decided to stop participating in life.  Her popular, athletic brother has dropped out of football and spends most of his time working to support the family.  To top it all off, Jenna thinks she may be dying.  Then one day she and her brother get in a car accident and Jenna is told that someone has been poisoning her.  When she looks to her brother for help, she discovers that he may not have truly survived that car accident (because what ARE those strange looking feathers sticking out of his back?).  Oh, and her dad may be alive somewhere.  They need to figure it all out soon before someone else gets seriously hurt.

What I Liked
This was a pretty good little mystery story.  Once I found out that Jenna was being poisoned, I started to figure out what else was going on in the family.  I can't tell you much more than that without giving too much away!  The mystery that I enjoyed was centered around the dad and his reasons for leaving the family.  I enjoyed getting to know him through his newspaper articles.

I also liked the Texas setting in this book.  Being a native Texan, I hate it when authors put in stuff about my state that they think sounds good for Texas.  Usually it just makes us look stupid.  This author is from Texas and this book is set in the Houston area.  She makes references to boots and the UT/A&M rivalry that I thought was clever.  Sometimes it's nice to feel comfortable in the setting of a book.

What I Didn't Like
I wanted more of the angel aspect of this book.  Don't worry.  That wasn't a spoiler.  If you can't tell from looking at the cover that there is an angel involved, then you need to pay more attention to covers!! :)  Anyway, much like Jenna in the story, I wanted to know more about what happened to Casey and exactly who this Amber chick was that kept showing up to help.  Maybe the author will give us more in her sequel, The A Word, but I feel like there was a major part of the story that didn't get told.

Check out this book trailer to get a little taste of The Sweet Dead Life!




No comments:

Post a Comment