Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

FIC AVE
Genre:  Fantasy
Summary
The world has changed.  There are now only people who have red blood and people who have silver blood.  The red bloods are regular people who live outside of the kingdom of silver blooded royalty and lords.  The red bloods live to serve and fight wars for the silver bloods.  What keeps this system from toppling?  The silver bloods have strange powers that are just scary enough to make the red bloods stay in their place.  Except for Mare.  She has the ability to harness electricity.  And once the silver bloods find THAT out, they have to spin a web of lies to make sure no one ever finds out.  But Mare doesn't feel like cooperating with that plan.

What I Liked
Once I got started reading this book, I got lost in the world of these strange people.  I was afraid it was going to be too much fantasy for me.  I don't like it when fantasy books are full of strange names and weird places - so much so that I can no longer picture what is happening in my mind.  I know.  I know.  That's what makes fantasies what they are.  But I never was able to read those kinds of books.  I need there to be enough reality in them so that I can relate to the characters and the plot.  This book had just enough realism to keep me reading.  

I also liked that it really ramped up the action towards the end.  Some books tend to slow down in the middle to get the readers ready for a big ending.  This book tended to speed up.  Do not plan on doing anything in your life after chapter 26!  From that point, it is a constant action scene with plenty of revelations to keep your from putting down the book!

What I Didn't Like
There wasn't much that I didn't like about this one.  I even gave it five stars on Goodreads which I don't do very often.  If I had to pick something it would be that some of it was a little bit predictable.  Like the ever present love triangle that tends to happen in so many books these days.  However, this triangle seems to straighten itself out pretty quick.  The reader doesn't have to get pulled into a Team Edward/Team Jacob kind of nonsense. 

Epic Read Explains
Watch this quick video for a brief explanation of what happens in this book.  It's kind of like a book trailer, but not quite as cheesy.



No comments:

Post a Comment